Psychosynthesis is an approach to personal development and psychology developed by Roberto Assagioli. It has since been developed and extended further by various other individuals and groups.
For general information see the Wikipedia Psychosynthesis entry.
Psychosynthesis Concept of the Will
The concepts relating to the Will originated with Roberto Assagioli teachings. See Roberto Assagioli’s Concept of the Will for more details on Assagioli’s beliefs. Note: there will be some overlap with this entry.
Psychosynthesis reaffirms the importance and value of the will. It describes the various stages of volition as:
- control of execution
Psychosynthesis specifies the Will’s qualities as:
- energy charge
- power of inhibition
Psychosynthesis has given the Will the central position among the psychic functions, which is represented by the Star Diagram:
1. Sensation; 2. Emotion — Feelings; 3. Imagination; 4. Impulse — Desire; 5. Thought; 6. Intuition; 7. Will; 8. Central point: the I or Ego. (Psychosomatic Medicine and Bio-Synthesis)
- The Will in Psychotherapy by Alberto Alberti (online article)
- The Training of the Will by Roberto Assagioli (online article)
- Psychosynthesis: A Collection of Basic Writings by Roberto Assagioli ISBN 0-9678570-0-7
- The Act of Will by Roberto Assagioli ISBN 0-670-10309-8
- Transpersonal Development: The Development Beyond Psychosynthesis by Roberto Assagioli ISBN 0953081125 (out of print editions: ISBN 1852740620 & ISBN 1855382911)
- Istituto di Psicosintesi The Institute of Psychosynthesis founded by Roberto Assagioli
- Association for The Advancement of Psychosynthesis
- Psychosynthesis Books
- Psychosynthesis Online
- Psychosynthesis Resources a large archive of Psychosynthesis documents
- Psychosomatic Medicine and Bio-Psychosynthesis by Roberto Assagioli (online article). A lecture given before the Plenary Session of the International Psychosomatic Week, Rome, September 1967.